Monday, January 14, 2013

Blog #2 "The Price of Reading is Eternal Vigilance"


I thought that the article “The Price of Reading is Eternal Vigilance” was interesting.  The article talks about the writers friend views on reading. How the writer friend has so much respect towards books and the experiences she has when she reads them. I think it is crazy (not in a bad way at all) how the authors friend looks at books. I had never thought about a book that way. She sees books as if they were the bible, like if they were sacred or something. I didn’t know what vigilance meant so I had to look it up and it pretty much means keeping you attention on something for a long time.

 I don’t think I have ever looked or read a book with such respect, so I can’t really relate to the authors friend in that way at all. But I do know what they mean when they say “a good book has a voice and good reading does too”. When I read I always have my own voice about it. Sometimes I take what I’m reading and go on and on about it in my head. I like to play what’s happening in the book in my head, and if there is a part in the book with something like hand gestures or some face expression, I can catch myself trying to mimic that action while I’m reading. I also like the part where she compares the guy who asked her for a quarter and asked her to listen to his story with writers asking you to listen to their story. I thought it was pretty clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment