Thursday, February 28, 2013

Blog #9: Possible Thesis

One possible thesis i had in mind was to write about Andrew Sullivan's article "I-pod World: The End of Society and talk about how I-Pods and electronic devices can have a positive effect on people rather than thinking it will take over our society. I can talk about how they can be convenient. You can have all your music, pictures, emails, people, and books, all in the palm of your hand. Another possible thesis is to write about Hal Niedzviecki's article "Facebook in a Crowd" and talk about the good effects Facebook can have on people’s lives. For example if people only accepted people they knew in person and have  good relationship with, it can be a great place to keep in touch with family and friends that live a long ways from them. The last possible thesis is that I can argue about is if companies should be allowed to market to children, since children know how to use technology just as much as grown-ups and talk about how that can be bad and how it can affect children. I am not really sure what I want to write about yet, I think this is going to be a very hard paper and I am going to write about ten different ones before I can come up with something I can actually write about.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angelica! I can see all three of these options working for your final paper, so that's a good start! I think that Thesis #3 seems pretty original, so I'm drawn to that one (although the other two could be good countering papers, too). If you chose option #3, the reading you could use depends on in which ways you think the advertising of technological devices is going to negatively affect kids. For example, if you were going to argue that it will affect their ability to connect with and communicate with others/outside world, perhaps forwarding the iPod World essay or countering the What's the Matter with Kids Today? essay would work. But if you think it may impact them in terms of their brain function or ADD, you could use the Google article for that. It all depends on what you, ultimately, will argue that the effects will be. Perhaps sitting down and doing some freewriting will help- #2 and #3 stand out to me as productive options. Which one feels easier for you to write about?

    ReplyDelete